I've noticed that many of my blog posts include my current and adorable pet husky, Saybl, however I feel as though I've neglected a pet that had in integral part in my childhood - my rabbit Betsea. I believe I got her for Christmas in 1994 when I was five-years old. I distinctly remember a large box with red wrapping paper and when I grabbed the box from my mother I flipped it on its side. "Lauren, no!" my mom yelled mid-flip and I freaked out not knowing what I had done wrong. I mean, come on, it's a Christmas present! To my surprise, when I opened it I found a lovely flop-eared bunny that we named Betsea!
As you can see in the picture above she was gray and white with these huge ears that were so long they touched the ground (and yes, I know I had amazing glasses, overalls, and haircut). She also had a knack for soccer. I know, how can a rabbit possibly play soccer? She would push the ball around her cage, 'doing laps' and when she was in a larger area I could throw the ball and she would 'kick' it back to me. Today Saybl plays with the same soccer ball and hides it under our deck. Betsea also had this absolutely amazing blue leash and collar and I could take her for a walk! Granted, a few times she did get away and catching her was something I blocked out of my memory because it was so hard, she loved her walks and I wish I could've given her more of them.
For about three years our family also had a pet rat named "Pellen," with whom she was best friends. They could literally take a road trip in the same cage together back and forth from Sandy to Los Angeles. Betsea loved hiding under cars and even sometimes she would take a 'nibble' out of me, but her attitude was the best part. It does seem a little odd that every pet we have has the same "I'm human and treat me that way" attitude, but it makes being a pet owner interesting. There will never be another rabbit like Betsea.

No comments:
Post a Comment