Saturday night was my grandparents 40th wedding anniversary, thus major festivities were held at the Vargas home. My Mother drove all through the night and barely arrived Saturday morning and I left Saturday night with her to drive back to Utah. Driving through the night = not meant for Lauren Posey. The weekend started out very lovely with a fireside given by Elder Andersen at the University of Utah (although the University of Utah is not so nice.) On the way there Kelly complained how we don't have a good picture of us together, but I'm not quite sure we accomplished this goal with my Blackberry, but it was a good effort. Of course the fireside was amazing, but all the interesting stuff happened on the car ride home. Kelly got a call from her Mom about these evacuations in Herriman, so I decided to call my Mom, but there was no answer. Uh-oh. Finally I got a hold of her and I needed to get home right away.
When I was turning on 13400 S to get to my house there were police barricades everywhere. I pulled up to one of them because a car in front of me got through the barricade so I thought if I explained my situation they would let me through. Well let's just say the entire Salt Lake County Police Department needs to take a class in customer service 101. I didn't even say a word and the officer was already yelling at me "you need to go around, you aren't allowed in here!" Whoa buddy, I'm the one that should be in a panic. The best part was when he threatened to arrest me if I went any further. That's a first! To remedy my situation I went up this other street a little further to get to my house. I drove past Herriman City Hall and of course there are barricades everywhere, but I went down some neighborhood streets and found one with no police. SCORE. Luckily I found my way home and the flames were enormous from my backyard, not to mention the smoke and ash everywhere. Our family couldn't take it so we stayed with some friends and luckily the evacuation zone was a few blocks south of us so it didn't affect our neighborhood.
With the fire somewhat under control we could enjoy our home and I got to give Eli his birthday gift! My nephew's 2-year old birthday would not be complete without a USC shirt and a USC football. When he turned one I bought him a soft football, but now I upgraded him to something more durable. I also got him a blue Volkswagon toy car! He's such a lucky kid to have me as his aunt! It was one crazy weekend, but hey, at least I got to see my dog! (That was a sarcastic comment of course...to some extent, haha)



No comments:
Post a Comment