Who'da thunk? I finished college! On May 13th, 2011, I officially became an alumnus of the University of Southern California Thornton School of Music. (Yeah, that makes me sound much smarter/more talented than I really am.)
 |
| This is the part where my mom would tear up and give me that "I'm so proud of you" look. |
The cap was the vain of my existence. It was awkward to carry around and when I put it on my head, my ears stuck out oddly. My head = not made for graduation caps (you'll see why below).
 |
| I'm fairly sure I was probably judging someone at this moment. It's the face. |
While we were waiting in the seats to get our diplomas, I, as well as some of my "colleagues," were extremely bored. I vaguely recall multiple "that's what she said" jokes thrown around (okay, mainly by me), some avid texters, and people wishing there was a beach ball to throw around (okay, that was my idea too). Either way, the ceremonial speeches could've been kept to a minimum.
 |
| The GRADUATE! (in no reference to the movie or band) |
 |
| Eli was so entertained the entire time. Heck, I was too. |
The best part was definitely having my family there. They hadn't really seen campus or what I've been doing for the past four years, so it was great to show them my daily walking paths and the random statue of a person by MUS. I guess we nicknamed him "Thornton." I actually watched the classic movie "The Graduate" this morning, and a lot of it was filmed at USC. The movie was cool to begin with, but now it has legendary status for being filmed at the best school ever (even though it was supposed to be Berkeley).
 |
| Someone needs me! |
The day after graduation, my family and I went to Malibu for my nephew to experience his first time at the beach! I'll tell you now, if for any reason you feel unloved or alone, take a child to the beach who has never been before because they will cling to you like you're the coolest person on earth. Eli was afraid at first, but then after subtle contact with the water (I may have dunked him once or twice) he finally acclimated to the awesomeness of the ocean!
A game I used to play as a kid at the beach was to either try and get as close to a wave without touching it, or jump over the waves as they come in. Eli needs to build some leg muscles to beat me at my wonderful games, but slowly, yet surely, I'm teaching him the ways of Lauren Posey.
I'm secretly afraid this blog post will have multiple spelling/grammatical errors to add irony to the "graduation" concept, so please point them out and comment below. After that I'll be sure to tell USC they did a whack job educating me.
3 comments:
Good tip on how to feel less alone. Never tried it before. I'm going to go to the beach now and play with little kids.
OH I just love this post. As always, your pictures are fabulous! And your stories about the graduation itself just made me laugh because it reminded me of when I graduated from SLCC. And to think...I have to go thru a graduation ceremony at UVU as well. (drag). And I agree with you about the caps. They are extremely awkward!
Cute pictures! Wish I could have been there!
Post a Comment